Concrete Floor Repair: When and How?
Is your garage floor cracked and you want to learn how to repair a concrete floor? Lucky for you, there are several effective ways to repair a concrete floor.
If the concrete slab in your garage or basement needs major repairs, we recommend that you hire a concrete repair company. The concrete in need of repair will need to be removed first, then grinded with a rotary tool and then cleaned with a high pressure washer.
Even though concrete floors are durable, they are not without flaws. Regardless of the type of floor and its maintenance, repairs will be expected after a certain period. This period can be short or long and often depends on the use of the floor. Although repairing a concrete floor usually comes later than repairing a wood floor, the concrete floor can crack and need to be repaired.
If this is your case, rest assured. Repairing a concrete floor is pretty straightforward. We still recommend that you call in professionals to ensure an impeccable and lasting end result. Now find out how professionals repair a concrete floor.
When to Repair a Concrete Floor?
The reasons that lead an individual to redo their concrete floor vary. It could even be that the floor is still in good condition, but you want to preserve it or change its look. Whether it’s for aesthetics, protection or because your floor is cracked, there are all good reasons to repair your floor. Ideally, the repair takes place before your floor no longer meets your needs.
If your floor is just starting to deteriorate or your decor has changed, now is the perfect time to transform your floor. Now find out how to repair a concrete floor by choosing the right materials.
What Materials to Choose to Repair a Concrete Floor?
When it’s time to repair, you should ask yourself the following question. Do you need to replace your concrete floor or would a coating be sufficient to extend its life? If the option of a coating meets your needs, we recommend polyurea with vinyl flakes for the garage. It can certainly make your floor look great again. For interior, residential or commercial floors, metallic, solid color or clear epoxy are excellent solutions to give honor to your concrete floor.
A FEW TIPS BEFORE CHOOSING A COMPANY TO INSTALL EPOXY OR POLYUREA COATING:
- Make sure that the humidity of the room and the slab has been checked. Too high humidity can cause serious long-term problems;
- Make sure a good surface preparation is done. This is the key to the success of a good floor installation. It must be clean, dry and that the pores are well open;
- Do not hesitate to ask for more information on the anti-slip and protection options offered, if you have an active lifestyle, children or animals these options will undoubtedly be of interest to you;
- Note that the installation of polyurea is rather quick, count on average 1 to 2 days of work. However, be warned that it takes almost a week for epoxy to rearrange your living space.
- If you are installing it in the winter period, make sure the space is heated. A temperature below 20 ° C slows down, or even prevents, the hardening and drying process;
- Make sure that the company you are doing business with is specialized in the field. Sometimes it is better to make a larger initial investment to have a coating that will meet your expectations and last well over time.
- If your space is very sunny, find out about the protections offered against UV rays. These will prevent the surface from turning yellow over time;
If you need additional help repairing a concrete floor, contact us. An experienced member of our team will be happy to take your call.