Concrete Grinding and Polishing: Benefits & Differences
What is concrete grinding & why is it important?
Installing various polished concrete floors can be difficult because of the state of the current concrete. For example, the concrete slab needs to be properly prepared with an industrial diamond grinding machine so that epoxy and polyaspartic coatings can properly adhere to it. Once grinding is complete, the surface is more uniform and installing floor coatings is easier
Properly grinding and preparing the floors prior to installation, is the single biggest way to ensure the longevity of the floors. It is especially significant if the floors are going to be polished, as the state of the concrete will show through.
4 Benefits of grinding concrete
1. Restore concrete surfaces
Grinding smooth surfaces imperfections and inconsistencies in the concrete, resulting in a smooth and usable surface. Old and damaged existing concrete surfaces can be restored to their former glory.
2. Remove paint, epoxies, dirt
Grinders remove paint, epoxy, dirt, and other remnants left on the concrete. The grinder removes a thin top layer of the floor, often resulting in a more uniform and clean surface.
3. Easily install flooring
Once the grinding has been completed and the smooth, uniform surface is left, many types of flooring options can be installed with ease. Floor preparation is essential for the long-term durability of any kind of flooring material.
4. Perfect for high-traffic areas
Properly grinding concrete in high traffic areas such as basements, balconies, patio, garages and commercial spaces, ensures that the floors have the right preparation prior to installation. It ensures the longevity and durability of the floors in high traffic areas.
Can I do concrete grinding ?
You can grind a concrete slab by yourself, but remember that you have many things to think about before starting. When you locate the machine, you need to pick the right diamonds for your concrete by asking the supplier for tips. When doing your work, it’s important not to rush things, if you don’t want to come back over some areas many times.
Grinding upwards on a concrete wall may present some difficulties too. Will you use a smaller hand held grinder or a large grinder you can use standing up? Does it have edging capabilities?
If you are looking for peace of mind when resurfacing your concrete floors? Contact your B-Protek team of experts, they grind concrete floors and offer various coating possibilities such as polyurea with flakes and epoxy. These different ways of covering your concrete will protect your floor while adding the final touch to your decor.
What is concrete polishing?
Concrete polishing is an opportunity to grind down surface floors to create natural high gloss finishes. The polishing process varies to suit individual client’s needs. The end products differ as a result of customization to meet your tastes.
The process to polish concrete floors may be modified depending on the type of concrete. To avoid jeopardizing the aesthetic look of your floor space, let experts give you advice and deal with the entire project.
5 Benefits of concrete polishing
- Durability: most people prefer concrete polished floors because they are hard and abrasion-resistant, making them suitable for high-traffic areas.
- Low maintenance: The fine, glass-like finish makes polished concrete floors easy to clean and maintain. They require sweeping, wet mopping and an occasional buffing for high-traffic areas.
- Safety and Environmentally friendly: Due to a high COF (coefficient of friction), polished concrete floors are almost immune to scratching and scuffing. They are also slip-resistant. It validates their safety reputation, and they are classified «green» due to their environmental sustainability.
- Affordability: Concrete polished floors offer durable, easy to maintain and safe products, resurfacing is minimized.
- Aesthetic pull: You’ll get a beautiful, natural looking concrete floor.
Can I do concrete polishing?
Concrete polishing requires skilled craftsmen with an eye for detail and ability to adhere to the highest possible standards expected for top quality results. Using the services of experts would be preferable for a better peace of mind.